Celebs Factory
Content feed Comments Feed

She has just turned 18, but has completed three films already. Acting is in her genes, as her mother Radha and aunt Ambika were top heroines of their time. But for Karthika, who makes her Tamil debut in KV Anand’s 'Ko', an entry into the film industry was not part of a plan.

“It just happened. When I did 'Josh' opposite Naga Chaitanya in Telugu, I was too young to understand cinema. I wasn’t trained to be an actor,” says Karthika, who was all-set to pursue a hotel management course in Switzerland. “I didn’t go looking for opportunities. Luckily, films found me.”

She had never considered acting as a full-time profession until she debuted in the Malayalam flick, 'Makaramanju', opposite Santosh Sivan, (screened at the International Film Festival of India, 2010).

“When director Danny Boyle called to congratulate me, I realised that I have an inborn gift.” Bitten by the acting bug now, Karthika adds, “I’m serious about doing films in Tamil.”
After her character as Renuka, a political journalist in 'Ko', Karthika wants only meaty roles. But what about glamour?

“Glamour is not just wearing skimpy clothes, but it’s about attitude, personality and portrayal of yourself,” she shrugs. “In fact mom played a village belle in Mudhal Mariyadhai. Sans make-up and wearing just a sari, she looked sexy. And in 'Ko', I wear salwars, kurtis and ghagras and I look glamorous.”

Karthika also doesn’t shy away from doing risky shots. While shooting for the Amili Thumili song at the dangerous Bolton Rock in Norway, she danced atop a rock over a deep ravine and braved a six-hour trek when visibility was zero, thanks to a thick fog. Though cold and wet, she even changed from a shimmering sari into a slippery jump suit to escape a blizzard.

So any tips from mommy-dearest?
“She hasn’t told me how to act, but revealed how not to act! ‘Keep it real’ is the mantra she asked me to follow,” adds Karthika.

0 comments

Post a Comment