Celebs Factory
Content feed Comments Feed

Actress Bipasha Basu is comfortable in her skin and though she hadn’t planned life, she tells DNA that she’s happy with it all...

Coming up
The character I play in the film Dum Maro Dum is called Zoey who is a happy-go-lucky yet ambitious and wants to achieve something in life. Essentially, DMD revolves around four pivotal characters and each one has a story which combines into one. The film represents the essence of Goa and shows how the dark past of each of the four catches up with them. DMD is not thequintessential Hindi cinema flick where concentration is on the leads, it’s a new-age thriller and there are no leads — just four characters.

Hollywood bound
Singularity is going to be my first English film. I had never a planned on doing an English film. It was chance meeting with Roland Joffe that landed me the role. It’s a fabulous script and I feel that after 10 years in the industry, it’s a step forward. It’s a great thing to be able to get noticed by the global audience. It so happens that in this industry, even before you do one international film, they are ready to send you away. I am totally excited about it and absolutely open to world cinema. People abroad think actors in India are unapproachable. That’s why we need to go out and work more often to show them that we are available and they need not think twice about expressing their interest in casting actors here. I guess it gets easier when you are seen around and heard of.

The change
I am one of the changes in the Hindi film industry. Since I began acting, people have looking at dusky as sexy too. Initially, it was tough. Films did not come easy either. But later, I was considered to be the unconventional hit. People seem to have realised that 90% of the population here is brown skinned, and there’s nothing wrong with that. In fact, people abroad spend so much money to acquire our kind of skin tone and colour. Yet, on the other hand, we are a nation that is obsessed with fairness creams. Interestingly, a lot of the fair-skinned heroines too use bronzers to look dusky these days.

Brand Bipasha
Brand Bipasha has made a great journey over the years. A lot of people look up to me and I don’t want to send out the wrong message. I have been extremely careful about the things I choose to do and even about the brands I choose to endorse. For instance, I will never endorse alcohol. Recently, I was offered a deal with an alcohol brand and I know for a fact that there is a lot of money in it, but I will never associate myself with something I don’t believe in. I am extremely passionate about fitness and my first DVD has been selling like hot cakes. Piracy is the best form of flattery and the fact that people are buying pirated DVDs too makes me feel good, though I know it’s not ethical and we lose a lot of money because of that. As for the DVD, it’s something I came up with after trying it on myself. I am now working on the second DVD. There’s also my line of clothing called Love Yourself, with Reebok, which is doing extremely well. Every brand I endorse has shown tremendous faith in me.

A few obstacles
I am a positive thinker and have always been easy on myself. I am very content in my own zone and have been able to carve a niche for myself. I got the acceptance and support from the audience, which makes me happy, because I have tried different roles that were accepted by people. I did not have too many hurdles and I have always believed that life is a process and you got to take it in your stride.

Moments of glory
I have had many! My second film saw a golden jubilee, not many see people see that these days and that’s quite an achievement. Also, when Jism happened, not many mainstream actors were looking to do negative roles. I did, and even won an award for it. Corporate too attracted a different set of audience. Every film has had its moments — be it Omkara for 'Beedi Jalaile' or Dhoom or Dum Maro Dum.

The success
I always believed in myself. But honestly, I did not know I would come such a long way. There was no planning involved and as I am very instinctive by nature. My purpose is to entertain. I try to have a thick skin when a film releases, as there are various other reasons why a film does or does not do well.

My dear family
I am proud that I have achieved a lot, yet kept the innocence for which my family is responsible. I am glad that I haven’t changed a bit over the years and my family has been with me through it all.

0 comments

Post a Comment